how are clothes supposed to look modest when you're overweight? they just don't look good, everything is tight or looks like a garbage bag. I get so disappointed. no one will even marry me. ugh. its nice to look thin and fashionable but theres so few hijabis that are curvier and there are no options for nice clothes. any suggestions? I feel down when im shopping.
GIRL. I FEEL YOU. why does it feel like all clothes was made for tiny people? I’ll be honest with you, i’m overweight. i hate shopping. i’ve had moments where i literally sit in the fitting room and cry because i hate how i look. but you know what? at the same time, modest dressing can help overcome that. While it wont fix what you feel inside, it’ll help hide it on the outside. Heres what I look for when I’m shopping:
- Does it cover my thighs? If it does, which curves is it hitting?
- Does it cinch in at the waist? I find that this is hella flattering.
- Whats the neckline like? I find that the higher the neckline the more slimming it can be. Also the wider (not deeper), the more slimming.
- Look for pieces that are more flowy: Dresses, palazzo pants, skirts, blouses, etc.
- Also look for less clingy fabrics: jersey basically sucks man. it sucks.
- I also find that with hijab, it helps to wear it looser. It kind of evens everything out.
But the most important thing to remember is that you won’t feel better on the outside until you feel better on the inside. its something i’m struggling with…something everyone struggles with. i’m still trying to make piece with the fact that i AM a larger girl. and you know what? someday someone will love me because my personality will shine through. Life is too short to worry about these little things.
Best of luck. Remember, you’re gorgeous!